Wednesday, January 6, 2010

First Books of 2010!

First, thanks for all your votes about the Nathan Bransford contest. I picked the second entry, so keep your fingers crossed!

One of my resolutions was to keep track of the books that I read in 2010. I’m already falling behind of that because I’ve already finished two!

Book One:
Someday This Pain Will be Useful to You (Peter Cameron) 240 Pages
I admit that this book was a bit of a cheat, because I was halfway done with it when 2010 started. But I think I can still count it, because it was the first book I finished this year. It was recommended to me by a friend, and I kept trying to get around to it and never had time (perhaps because one of my MFA classes required me to read a 200+ page novel a week…ugh!). I finally picked it up and loved the book. The main character’s voice is sarcastic, yet pained. He reminded me of Chuck Bass (my love!) from Gossip Girl. Overall, it was a great read!

Book Two:
Cracked Up to Be (Courtney Summers) 224 Pages
One of my students recommended this book to me about a month ago. She loved it, so I gave it a shot and could not get into the narrator’s voice. But…I picked it up again during break and couldn’t put it down. I stayed up one night reading until almost three in the morning just to see what happened. I flew through it in two days, and I loved it. Courtney’s next book was just released yesterday, and I'm waiting for Amazon.com to ship the preordered copy I got. Ugh, they are so slow when you do the free shipping!!

Right now I’m on about page 50 of Marcello in the Real World. I can’t stop gushing about how much I love the cover of this book. Seriously, I think it’s one of the most beautiful covers I’ve ever seen.
It reminds me a lot of The Curious Incident of the Dog at Nighttime, but I feel like Marcello is more sensitive and vulnerable than the narrator in TCIOFTAN.

What about you? What are you reading right now?

5 comments:

Kate Hart said...

My husband brought home Marcelo for me for Christmas and I've been putting it off, but now I'm excited to read it. Thanks!

à la vanille said...

Hey, I entered the contest, too! I wish us both luck. :)

I have to agree, that is a beautiful cover. If only the night sky looked like that where I lived!

AchingHope said...

I'm like reading 10 books at the same right now *sigh.* But the one I'm mainly reading right now is The Pull of the Ocean by some French person. It's really good so far :)

Kelly said...

I'm glad you picked Cracked Up to Be back up again. It was one of my 10 fave reads last year. Please keep tracking the books you read here!

I loved Marcelo too. Totally agree about the voice compared to Curious Incident. At the end of my review, I linked to a couple people who made that comparison, and a couple who took issue with it. Might be interesting reading for you after you finish the book...

Also, do you have a Goodreads account? If you list your books there, we can "compare" our taste to see if we're kindred spirits (ah, Anne of Green Gables, what would my life have been without that phrase?).

Kristan said...

I've heard such good things about Marcelo. Before I can read that, though, there are like... 1 gabillion other books already in queue! Argh.

Right now I'm reading Shoeless Joe. I think Hunger Games is up after that, though. After all the good things I've heard/read about it, I practically salivate just thinking about it.