Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Under the Misletoe....

It’s Christmas time, which means lots of mistletoe hanging around. And lots of mistletoe hanging around has got me thinking about crushes…literary crushes!

Okay, I admit that’s not really what I think about when I see mistletoe, but it’s still a great transition into today’s post topic…literary crushes! Because I mean, come on, who doesn’t have them! And before you go thinking that my crush is Edward or Jacob or someone who could kill me if I they let their guard down (gasp!), you may be surprised to find out that everyone I’ve been crushing on is human. Whoa!

Without further ado…here are my top three literary crushes….

Jay Gatsby:
I think he gets the number one spot of my list, and I don’t even know why. He’s corrupt, a wimp and covered up for a murder, but I love the man. There’s something vulnerable about him, and every time Daisy is cruel to him, I want to tell him that she’s not worth it.

I think I like him so much because he’s a man who fell in love (forget the fact that the girl was a superficial bitch), and he never let go of the dream of being with this one woman. The man came from nothing and worked for years to make himself into a better person (again, nevermind that he did it illegally and then threw his money around to entice the superficial bitch). I think I just like the idea of how much he cared for something, and how he never let go of the dream. And yes, I’m well aware that he helped cover up a murder and try to steal away a married woman, but I can’t get that image of him standing at the end of the dock staring at Daisy’s green light (okay, maybe he was a stalker!).

Logan Bruno:
Let me start off by saying that I adored The Babysitters Club growing up. I would make my mom take me to the bookstore the day the new book came out, and I still have the complete set of the series up in my attic. Logan Bruno was my dream man when I was younger. Sure, boy crazy Stacey (the title of one of my favorite books in the series!) had a lot of cute boyfriends, but Logan was always there for Mary Anne. He held her hand, carried her books and walked her to babysitting jobs. What more could a girl ask for!?!

Atticus Fitch:
I guess Atticus would be my older man crush. Atticus is one of the most upright, strong and pure characters in literature. I love everything about the man. He’s humble, instills fairness and justice in his kids, he fights for equal rights, and he’ll always do what is right, even if it’s hard. The courtroom scene in the book always gives me chills, and I love the part where Rev. Skyes tells Scout to stand up because her father’s passing by. What a great character!

And just as a side not...I'm obsessed with dogs. Literally, obsessed. I'm not allowed to have one in my condo, but as soon as I can, I totally want to name it either Atticus, Gatsby or Buchanan.

Those are my top three literary crushes, although I can probably think of a few others. What about you? Who are your literary crushes?

5 comments:

Amna said...

My friend dressed up as Gatsby for a dress up party.

I absolutely love Gatsby!

Kristan said...

You know, I'm not sure I have any literary crushes... But I did name my Macbook Gatsby!

Rachele Alpine said...

Gatsby is a good name for your Macbook...mine is named Ginger! I name all my Mac products...my touch is Jenkins and my nano is Ruby! My old ipod was named Winton. My boyfriend thinks I'm nuts, because I'll be like "Do you know where Ruby is?" Ha!

AchingHope said...

I totally crushed on Aragorn from the Lord of the Rings (the book, not the movie) even though he is super older than me.

Kate said...

I love that you crushed on Logan Bruno!