Sunday, December 6, 2009

A Recipe for Inspiration

During one of the first conversations with my agent, she asked me what inspired my book. When a book is submitted to editors, it is often referenced as a cross between specific books and movies. She wanted to know what I had in mind while writing my book and shared her ideas.

So I started thinking about my book recipe. What books mixed with what book inspired the perfect read. Here is it, the recipe for Canary! Once the recipe is completed, I hope you will over indulge!

Canary’s Book Inspiration:
• Speak (Laurie Halse Anderson)
I love Anderson’s writing style. My book is episodic instead of having chapters (blog entries separate episodes), and I love the voice of Melinda. Her sarcasm, wit and pain work so well together.

• I am Charlotte Simmons (Tom Wolfe)
This book deals with college level athletes and the corrupt system the fictional ivy league school subscribes to.

• Prep (Curtis Sittenfeld)
This book is one of my top ten favorite books of all time (which is a big statement coming from an English teacher).
If you haven’t read it, read it. I read it once or twice a year, and it never gets old.
It’s about a middle class girl who spends four years at a private boarding school.

Canary’s Movie/Television Inspiration:
• Varsity Blues
• Cruel Intentions
• 90201 (don’t laugh, I love that show!)

I also had play list of songs that I used while I was writing that I named MELLOW SONGS TO WRITE TO.

Here’s the line up:
• Mad World (R.E.M.)
• Wake me When September Comes (Green Day)
• Run (Snow Patrol)
• Rootless Tree (Damien Rice)
• 9 Crimes (Damien Rice)
• Sleep Don’t Weep (Damien Rice)
• Fake Empire (The National)
• Slow Show (The National)
• Start a War (The National)
• Racing Like a Pro (The National)
• How to Save a Life (The Fray)
• You Found Me (The Fray)
• Falling Slowly (The Swell Season)
• When Your Minds Made Up (the Swell Season)
• The Scientist (Coldplay)
• Society (Eddie Vedder)
• Apologize (One Republic)
• Flowers in December (Mazzy Star)
• Colorblind (Counting Crows)
• A Long December (Counting Crows)
• Bittersweet Symphony (The Verve)
• New Slang (The Shins)
• One (U2)
• Everytime (Britney Spears)
• Beautiful People (Rusted Root)
• Brick (Ben Folds Five)
• How’s it Going to Be (Third Eye Blind)

Those are my inspirations! Lina also thought my book was a little bit of the Gossip Girls series (uhm, can we talk about how that series is my secret pleasure…or more specifically Chuck Bass) and the movie Mean Girls. I could see how my book would remind the readers of elements from both.

What about you? What inspires your writing? Are there specific books, movies or music? Share them with me!

5 comments:

Amna said...

Hmmmmm- Chuck Bass <33

Movies/shows that have inspired me

-She's all that
-The Ugly Truth
-10 things I hate about you (the series and the film!)
-Ugly Betty <33

Too many books XD

Raven said...

You have great taste in music. I love Coldplay and The Fray.

Hmm, I think I might do a blog post about this.

Kristan said...

How interesting... My "New Adult" story, TWENTY-SOMEWHERE, is episodic too. I wonder is that's a draw right now? 20SW just won the opportunity to be submitted to St. Martin's Press for consideration, and I wasn't sure if being episodic would help or hurt it...

20SW's inspirations are chiefly Sex and the City and Sisterhood of the Traveling pants. I don't really have musical influences because I'm one of those people who listens to different things every day -- sometimes I need lyrics, sometimes they are distracting, sometimes I want upbeat, sometimes I need mellow.

Sometimes I wish my needs were more consistent because it's a chore to figure myself out each day!

Rachele Alpine said...

Kristan...

Congrats on the opportunity to present your book to St. Martin's Press! How exciting! I heard about the new 20something book audience they are trying to target. Oh, and I love "The Sisterhood of the Traveling pants" series! Did you read her other book, "The Last Summer of You and Me?" If so, what did you think?

Karla Calalang said...

This is a great blog post! I think I'm going to post something similar! (: