Saturday, December 5, 2009

Let's Talk About Plot...

So I have a finished manuscript and an agent…I bet you’re wondering what the book is about!

Here’s the summary paragraph I used in my query letter:

Kate Franklin’s dad is good at coaching basketball; what he isn’t good at is communicating with Kate and her brother Brett. When her mother dies, he shuts down, throwing himself into basketball as a way to cope with his grief, leaving Kate alone in silence. When he lands a job at Beacon, Kate finds it easy to fit in when she starts dating a player on the team, while her brother, shy and weak, is rejected by the school. Kate quickly learns to overlook the perks given to the athletes who openly disgrace her brother for not being one of them. However, the players take their power too far one night at a party and Kate is raped. Kate doesn’t stay silent about the rape, but her accusations aren’t accepted by the Beacon community. The school rallies with the team and lashes out at her. Ugly rumors are created to destroy Kate and her credibility. She’s not praised for her decision to be truthful, but instead, it brings terrible consequences. The final blow comes when her dad tries to silence her in order to protect the team. The world that Kate believed was safe is now her worst enemy, and Kate must decide whether to stay silent or expose the corruption, destroying her father’s career and bringing down a town’s heroes.

Sound good? I hope so!

When I started writing this book, I was really fascinated with pro athletes and stars who seem to be “above the law” in our society. There are people who get perks for who they are, and I wanted to play around with that idea in high school. Where does this worship start and what happens when a town puts their faith in these heroes? How much do these heroes owe the town, and often, and what happens when they start to feel the town owes them?

I’ve grown to love these characters and the journey they’ve taken me on. I’m excited to be revisiting them as I start to make edits. Kate has surprised me many times, and I think as I start to extend the ending (the main edit my agent wants me to focus on at the moment), Kate will surprise me even more.

Thanks to all my new readers who have already left comments. I’m happy to have you along on this journey with me!

8 comments:

Kaitlin Ward said...

That sounds awesome!!

Amna said...

That sounds amazing!

Totally excited to read it someday!

Raven said...

Wow, this really sounds like it's going to be a great book. Definitely something I would read :)

Congrats on getting an agent and I can't wait to see this in bookstores one day!

Wayne K said...

I vote awesome too. That was your query summary?

Good job.

Catt said...

WOW, I am DYING to read your story now! Seriously, the summary is very gobsmackingly awesome.

Kristan said...

Oh my goodness, what an *intense* story!

Joshua P. Premuda said...

A book? That's amazing. Congrats. Let me know if you need a website made to accompany your book :)

AchingHope said...

Congratulations :) And Hoorah!